January 30, 2024
9:00 am - 1:00 pm
January 31, 2024
9:00 am - 1:00 pm
Alberta Home Visitation Network Association
Mental Health First Aid (Virtual)
About Mental Health First Aid
Mental Health First Aid is a two-day training that teaches about a variety of mental illnesses and how to support someone who is experiencing symptoms. Mental Health First Aid is the help provided to a person developing a mental health problem, experiencing the worsening of an existing mental health problem or in a mental health crisis. Just like physical first aid is provided until medical treatment can be obtained, MHFA is given until appropriate support is found or until the crisis is resolved.
This virtual training is comprised of a mandatory pre-training self-directed learning module (virtual) followed by two mandatory Zoom Sessions. In order to attend the two Zoom session, all registrants are required to submit their learning module certificate of completion by Friday, January 26, 2024.
The training is broken down into 5 units and their associated crisis risk:
- Substance Abuse and Overdose
- Mood Disorders and Suicide
- Anxiety Disorders and Panic Attacks
- Trauma Disorders and Acute Stress Reaction
- Psychotic Disorders and psychotic episodes
- Recognize signs and symptoms among family, friends, colleagues and clients
- Provide comfort to a person experiencing a mental health problem.
- Confidently engage where a person may be a danger to themselves or others.
- Provide help to prevent the mental health problem from developing into a more serious state.
- Identify professional and self-help resources for individuals with a mental health problem
- Promote coping skills to help the recovery of good mental health
Virtual Workshop Expectations
In this training, attendees will practice, participate, and discuss; breakout rooms will also be used.
We want people to get as much from our virtual training as they would from an in-person training, therefore, each person attending must have the following:
– Computer with camera, microphone, and internet connection
– Access to a web browser
*All registrants are required to complete a pre-training, self-directed learning module (virtual) due Friday, January 26, 2024, in order to be able to attend the Zoom sessions. All registrants must submit their self-directed learning certificate of completion before January 30 & 31, 2024. Attendance of both Zoom sessions AND completion of the self-directed learning module are required for a full certificate of completion.*
Who Should Attend:
Those who work to support families.
Priority will be given to Family Resource Network Team Members.
Date: Tuesday January 30, & Wednesday January 31, 2024 (Register before January 16, 2024)
Virtual Session Time: 9:00 am – 1:00 pm both days
Home Visitation Spokes: Free
FRN Spokes – other: Free
AHVNA Members: $ 150.00
Non-Members: $ 225.00
Registration fees are non-refundable.
We encourage you to send a substitute if you are unable to attend the workshop, as there is a NO SHOW charge for all absent registrants. Cancellations need to be made ONE WEEK prior to the workshop date.
Should a workshop not reach its minimum registration requirement, it will be cancelled ONE WEEK prior to the workshop commencement date. Registrants will be informed by e-mail or telephone, and registration fees will be refunded.