December 6, 2023
1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
December 13, 2023
1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Alberta Home Visitation Network Association
An Introduction to Early Child Development for Home Visitors
and Family Support Practitioners
An introduction to Child Development workshop series will support Home Visitors, Family Support Workers and others who serve and support families with children from 0-6. The workshops will be ideal for those who might be newer to child development or those with some knowledge who would like a practical refresher with a home visitation and family support lens.
This workshop series will:
- Provide a basic understanding of the developmental domains and developmental tasks for each age group and how this can inform practice with families
- Explore and practice ways in which those working with families can guide and support caregivers and children as they engage in developmentally appropriate activities
- Provide opportunities to practice supportive and encouraging methods of delivering developmental information to caregivers using in the moment, strength-based feedback
- Address common questions caregivers may ask about their child’s development
Session #4: Priceless Preschoolers
Date: Wednesday, December 6 and Wednesday December 13 (Two Day Session) – register by Wednesday, November 22, 2023
Time: 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm both days
- Growth & development ages 3-6 years (preschool to kindergarten)
- Touches on topics like empathy, conversation and identity
- Discussion of age and domain specific development
- Supporting caregivers connect their actions to their child’s ongoing development
- Two – 3-hour Workshops
Intro to Child Development (Session #1) is a prerequisite for the age- specific workshops: Incredible Infants – 0-12 months – Session #2; Terrific Toddlers – 12- 36 months – Session #3; and Priceless Preschoolers – 3-6 years – Session #4.
Once you attend the intro session, you can choose which age specific sessions to attend, based on your practice and the needs of the families you partner with in your work.
Virtual Workshop Expectations
In this training, attendees will practice, participate, and discuss; we also use breakout rooms.
As such each person attending must have the following:
- Computer with camera, microphone, and internet connection
- The package of materials mailed to participants.
We want people to get as much from our virtual training as they would from an in-person training
Registration fees are non-refundable.
We encourage you to send a substitute if you are unable to attend the workshop, as there is a NO SHOW charge for all absent registrants. Cancellations need to be made ONE WEEK prior to the workshop date.
Should a workshop not reach its minimum registration requirement, it will be cancelled ONE WEEK prior to the workshop commencement date. Registrants will be informed by email or telephone, and registration fees will be refunded.